Capitol Reef National Park, Utah
The Oyler Mine claim was first filed in 1904. The site has two uranium mines and an old stone building, and possibly a corral or pen.
Most Recent: April 30, 2011
Before the atomic bomb and the uranium boom of the Fifties, this claim was first filed in 1904. Here an early prospector started a stone building, and possibly a corral or pen.
In the 1920s pieces of uranium ore from this mine were ground up and mixed in drinking water, or worn in packets in waistbands or on arthritic joints, to "cure" rheumatism and other ailments. There are no statistics to indicate which was more harmful - the disease or the cure.
The cliff is unstable and subject to rockwall, and potentially dangerous concentrations of radioactive materials may occur within the mine.
Do not attempt to enter the tunnels.
On our way to hike Cassidy Arch, we saw an interpretive sign about the Oyler Mine, so we decided to check it out.